Monday, November 21, 2011

The Glad Game

"There are so many things to be glad about," Pollyanna exclaimed. "I cannot begin to enumerate them all."
~Elizabeth Borton

It's that time of year again. Not that I don't love Thanksgiving - I do. It's one of my favorite holidays.

But how much more would I love Thanksgiving if we celebrated in the summer. I know, pretty silly idea. Can you imagine Thanksgiving without the red and gold falling leaves? Without the possibility of that first sugar-frosting snowfall? Thanksgiving without the spicy, seasonal pumpkin pie? No football? Unimaginable!

But I can imagine it. I can easily picture my family outside at the picnic table by the barbecue pit. The hot sun bears down and mosquitoes bite my bare ankles while a baseball game plays on the radio. Instead of pumpkin pie for desert,  I serve cherry cobbler made with the early June cherries from our orchard.

I'm a summer girl and this slide into the deep, dark days of winter has the ability to really get me down.

I have two choices: move to Florida or play the Glad Game.

The Glad Game originated in 1913 with the publication of Elizabeth Borton's book Pollyanna. This classic children's story grew so popular that the title of the book became synonymous for a person with a sunny outlook. In her book, Elizabeth Borton writes about Pollyanna, the orphaned child of missionaries. Forced to move in with her stern, humorless Aunt Polly, Pollyanna nevertheless finds a reason to be glad in each situation she encounters. She influences an entire town with her joyous attitude and teaches everyone she meets the Glad Game.

I think I'm in need of the Glad Game. Today, I'll be glad for this gorgeous fall weather, for even if the temperature is a cool 45 degrees, the day is full of sunshine and blue skies. While I'm at it, I'll rejoice that baseball season is over, because next year will be better for my beleagured Chicago Cubs. Joe has to work on Thanksgiving Day, but I can give thanks that my husband has a good job and that my family is coming over to celebrate Thanksgiving with us the following Sunday.

The Glad Game is really a simple game. No game board or pieces needed. Neither are any electronic devices or computer systems. All that's necessary is attitude. An attitude of gratitude.

.Heavenly Father, when my attitude needs an adjustment, please help me to remember the Glad Game. And to rejoice in all things. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Monica. Thank you. I'm a summer girl, too, and I start fussing when the sky goes cloudy and the air turns cold. I'll take the challenge - The Glad Game. I love it. And I hope that you have a blessed Thanksgiving. Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica.....you always know exactly what to say and when to say it....this blog was great!!! You inspire me....you are the most positive person I know.....Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving...Love you bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete