Monday, November 14, 2011

The Scrambled Egg Solution

"Green Eggs and Ham was the story of my life. I wouldn't eat a thing when I was a kid, but Dr. Seuss inspired me to eat cauliflower." Jim Carrey

When I was a kid, scrambled eggs were all I wanted to eat. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mom's attempts to seduce me with brown sugar and maple syrup-topped oatmeal failed. My once-favorite grilled cheese sandwich was pushed away. Even my dad's promise of a bowl of ice cream after supper was met with derision. I was in a rut. A scrambled egg rut.

Do you ever feel like you're in a rut? Same old same old day after day? Especially when Joe is on afternoon shift, I find that I fall into a bad routine. I hit the snooze button one too many times. I stay up way too late, engrossed with reality TV and re-runs. And I end my day frustrated with the little I've accomplished. My good resolutions become so easy to put aside: get out of bed early, start my day with a devotion, put in that extra half-hour of exercise, read something meaningful. The days seem to get away from me.

One day, when I was little, Mom slid another plate of scrambled eggs in front of me.
"What are these?" I stabbed a piece of green vegetation with my fork and held it up suspiciously.
"Peppers. Peppers are tasty with eggs. Try it."
Hey, Mom was right! The eggs tasted even better with that extra little zing.The next day, Mom added cheese and a bright, orange, crunchy substance to my usual plate of eggs.
"Mom?" I pointed at my plate.
"Grated carrots. Try it."
At supper, my scrambled eggs were accompanied by a summery-red, juicy, sliced tomato. A few days later, I finished an entire bowl of vegetable soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. No scrambled eggs in sight. I had crawled out of my scrambled egg rut.

Mom's gentle solution was to add crunchy, vibrant vegetables to my bland scrambled eggs, one meal at a time. Today, instead of being frustrated and trying to accomplish everything at once, I might try to add one lively activity to my usual bland week of afternoon shift. For that extra half-hour of exercise, I can take Ben the beagle for a walk and enjoy the last golden days of fall. I can visit the library and check out some of my favorite old books or that new bestseller I've anxiously awaited. Perhaps, I'll curl up with the book tonight instead of reality TV and re-runs. I might even take the book upstairs with me, read an extra chapter, then shut off the light and fall sleep at a decent hour. I bet I'll wake up earlier tomorrow with a much better attitude, ready to rise from that rut and begin a bright new day.

Dear Father, please bless my efforts today as I climb out of my rut. Help me to always appreciate the roof over my head, the job that keeps us and the food on my table. Even scrambled eggs. Amen.

1 comment: